heterosexual adj : sexually attracted to members of the opposite sex [ant: homosexual, bisexual] n : a heterosexual person; someone having a sexual orientation to persons of the opposite sex [syn: heterosexual person, straight person, straight]
- Danish: heteroseksuel
- Finnish: heteroseksuaalinen, hetero-
- French: hétérosexuel
- German: heterosexuell
- Italian: eterosessuale
- Romanian: heterosexual
- Spanish: heterosexual
- Danish: heteroseksuel
- Finnish: heteroseksuaali, hetero
- French: hétérosexuel
- German: Heterosexuelle (m|f)
- Italian: eterosessuale m|f
- Romanian: heterosexual , heterosexuală
- Kurdish: (male), (female)
Translations to be checked
Etymologyhetero- + sexual
History and demographicsThe prevalence of exclusive heterosexuality has varied over the centuries and also from culture to culture. See Demographics of sexual orientation
The history of heterosexuality is part of the history of sexuality. That history and science derivative of it is far from complete. Owing to complications of human politics and prejudice, coupled with the malleable nature of human behaviour, it will be some time before the history and nature of all forms of human sexual behaviour are truly known.
SlangThe term "straight" originated as a mid-20th century gay slang term for heterosexuals, ultimately coming from the phrase "to go straight" (as in "straight and narrow"), or stop engaging in homosexual sex. One of the first uses of the word in this way was in 1941 by author G. W. Henry. Henry's book concerned conversations with homosexual males and used this term in connection with the reference to ex-gays. It currently simply is a colloquial term for "heterosexual" having, like many words, changed in primary meaning over time.
The term breeder, a word which is normally applied to animals, is sometimes used to describe heterosexuals in a negative way. Another slang term referring to male heterosexuals is "egg packer", which mocks the connotation of the slang term for male homosexuals, "fudge packer."
- Wikholm, Andrew, "Words: Heterosexual". Gay History.com. (Cited February 14, 2004)
- "Straight, Ex-gay". Descriptors for Sexual Minorities. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, H2G2. BBC. (Cited February 14, 2004)
- "Answers to Your Questions About Sexual Orientation and Homosexuality" American Psychiatric Association. (Cited February 9, 2004)
- "Heterosexual Sex". World Sex Explorer. (Cited February 14, 2004)
- Katz, Jonathan Ned (1995) The Invention of Heterosexuality. NY, NY: Dutton (Penguin Books). ISBN 0-525-93845-1.
- Johnson, P (2005) Love, Heterosexuality and Society. Routledge: London.
- Kinsey, Alfred C., et al., "Sexual Behavior in the Human Male". Indiana University Press. ISBN 0-253-33412-8
- Kinsey, Alfred C., et al., "Sexual Behavior in the Human Female". Indiana University Press. ISBN 0-253-33411-X
- Keel, Robert O., "Heterosexual Deviance". (Goode, 1994, chapter 8, and Chapter 9, 6th edition, 2001.) Sociology of Deviant Behavior: FS 2003, University of Missouri - St. Louis.
- "Heterosexual partner rights raise questions". The News' View, Yale Daily News Publishing Company. January 27, 2004.
- Coleman, Thomas F., "What's Wrong with Excluding Heterosexual Couples from Domestic Partner Benefits Programs?". Unmarried America, American Association for Single People.
- "Confidential Heterosexuality". Heterosexual Experience Stories. Raw Psychology Productions.
heterosexual in Afrikaans: Heteroseksualiteit
heterosexual in Arabic: مغايرة
heterosexual in Bosnian: Heteroseksualnost
heterosexual in Breton: Arallrevelezh
heterosexual in Catalan: Heterosexualitat
heterosexual in Czech: Heterosexualita
heterosexual in Danish: Heteroseksualitet
heterosexual in German: Heterosexualität
heterosexual in Estonian: Heteroseksuaalsus
heterosexual in Spanish: Heterosexualidad
heterosexual in Esperanto: Aliseksamo
heterosexual in Persian: دگرجنسگرایی
heterosexual in French: Hétérosexualité
heterosexual in Korean: 이성애
heterosexual in Croatian: Heteroseksualnost
heterosexual in Indonesian: Heteroseksual
heterosexual in Icelandic: Gagnkynhneigð
heterosexual in Italian: Eterosessualità
heterosexual in Hebrew: הטרוסקסואליות
heterosexual in Georgian: ჰეტეროსექსუალობა
heterosexual in Kurdish: Heteroseksûelî
heterosexual in Hungarian: Heteroszexualitás
heterosexual in Macedonian: Хетеросексуалност
heterosexual in Dutch: Heteroseksualiteit
heterosexual in Japanese: 異性愛
heterosexual in Norwegian: Heterofili
heterosexual in Polish: Heteroseksualizm
heterosexual in Portuguese: Heterossexualidade
heterosexual in Romanian: Heterosexualitate
heterosexual in Russian: Гетеросексуальность
heterosexual in Simple English: Heterosexuality
heterosexual in Serbian: Хетеросексуалност
heterosexual in Finnish: Heteroseksuaalisuus
heterosexual in Swedish: Heterosexualitet
heterosexual in Thai: รักต่างเพศ
heterosexual in Turkish: Heteroseksüellik
heterosexual in Ukrainian: Гетеросексуальність
heterosexual in Yiddish: העטראסעקסואליטעט
heterosexual in Contenese: 異性戀
heterosexual in Chinese: 异性恋